Cockroaches have been around for a lot longer than humans; more than 300 million years. They are tough creatures and there are plenty of them around. In the US, there are around 65 different species of cockroach with four species considered to be the main pests; German, American, Brownbanded, and Oriental.
If you encounter any of these cockroaches in your home, you need to get rid of them as soon as possible as they can adversely affect the health of you and your family. You may want to get some help from professional exterminators, in order to ensure that the job is done quickly and effectively. There are also things that you can do yourself, in order to protect your home from a cockroach invasion and get rid of cockroaches that are already there.
What harm can cockroaches do?
You may be wondering why it’s so important to protect your home from problems with cockroaches. The fat is that they can have an adverse effect on the health of humans. Problems that can be caused by cockroaches include:
- Contamination of food if the cockroaches defecate on it.
- Spreading of bacteria.
- Potential to cause allergic reactions such as wheezing and water eyes. These reactions can be especially severe in people who suffer from conditions such as asthma.
The potential problems that can be caused by cockroaches make it vital that you try to prevent them taking residence in your home in the first place, and that you deal with any cockroaches that do gain entry.
How can you deal with cockroaches in your home?
As with any pest, it’s important that you try to prevent infestation of your home. Here are some tips for making it less likely that cockroaches will invade your home, and for getting rid of them if they there.
- Keep your home clean. It’s especially important that food preparation areas are washed down. Cockroaches love scraps of food, so you do not want to leave any around as an attraction.
- Do not leave uncovered food out overnight. Doing so means that it could attract cockroaches and be contaminated.
- Block any gaps or cracks in the exterior of your home which may create a point of entry for cockroaches.
- Empty bins in your kitchen each day, and never keep an uncovered bin in the kitchen.
- Deal with any water leaks straight away. Cockroaches can only survive for days without water, so you need to make sure that you do not supply them with any.
- Make a solution to kill cockroaches in your home. All you need to do is mix three parts of boric acid with one part of powdered sugar. Cockroaches are attracted by the sugar and then killed by the boric acid. Remember that handling boric acid can be dangerous if you do not do so carefully.
Using any of these tips can help to protect your home against cockroach problems. If cockroaches do get into your home, and the problem starts to multiply, it’s a good idea to seek expert help, before it gets out of control.