Home Electrical Hazards You Should Avoid

Sure, your home should be the safest place in all of the entire universe. After a hard day at work, long hours of travelling back home, all you should worry about is what TV show to watch and what you’re going to eat for dinner. But the sad truth is, there are dangers of all kinds lurking inside your property if you’re not careful enough to detect them before they do you harm. One kind of danger you should prevent from happening is caused by your home’s electrical system and appliances. Here are some tips on how to eliminate different household electrical hazards.

Water

There are a lot of things in life that mesh together perfectly. Some of these are mornings and coffee, a whole afternoon without anything to do and that book you’ve been dying to read for the longest time, and a peanut butter and jam sandwich. Unfortunately, water and electricity isn’t included in the list. In fact, the only thing you would get when you allow water near an outlet or an appliance is a busted electrical system in your home. Furthermore, if you have wet hands and you operate any kind of electrical component, you will hurt yourself so bad you might not even make it out of your home alive. So, do yourself a favor and make sure your electrical sockets are far from any kind of liquid. Dry your hands first before getting near anything that uses electricity. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration reports that electric shocks may result to as mild as a faint tingle to a cardiac arrest, severe burns, and even as bad as a probable death.

Overheating

Although you might not notice it, the temperature plays a huge part in the operation of your electrical components. If the temperature goes up, especially during the summer months, you better make sure your appliances are used well, but not to the point of stressing them out. For instance, instead of letting your AC units do all the work of cooling your house and removing extra moisture in the air, install a dehumidifier in your HVAC system. Let the said separate equipment fight the humidity in your home so your AC can focus solely on cooling your house down. When it comes to preventing fires caused by overheating, nothing beats obtaining professional electrical services from experienced contractors.

Extension Outlets

Having an extension for your electrical outlets is a really good idea if you want to maximize space and the arrangement of your appliances in your home. But if done wrong, you can start a whole world of trouble in a snap of a finger. We all know that overloading extension cords is a no-no for very obvious reasons. But did you know that allowing extension cords through walls, ceilings, doorways, and floors can also result in a fire hazard? Little did we know, covering cords under these surfaces prevent the heat from escaping, and this can possibly start a fire. You should also avoid chaining electrical cords together because they are designed to be plugged directly to an outlet.

According to the Energy Facility Contractors Group, a huge percentage of fire incidents at home and on-the job are due to the improper use of electrical equipment, plugs, and extension cords. The sad truth is that these are caused not by ignorance or inexperience but by inattention and overconfidence in handling these electrical equipment and tools. Let’s eliminate injuries and death by following simple electrical safety practices mentioned above. They do not require any expertise or technical knowledge at all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *